After spending the night in College Corner, Sue and I headed over to the Middletown OH area.
1. At Trenton OH, I saw a headlight in the distance. There wasn’t much time to get set up before CN 8835-2198-2123 barreled by with a southbound ethanol train.
2. CN 8835-2198-2123. View 2. Trenton OH.
3. This would be just north of “Trent” on the employee timetable. CN 8835-2198-2123. View 3. Trenton OH.
4. CSX Toledo SD Map 1. Click here for a slightly larger view.
5. SunCoke Energy built a new coke plant at Middletown OH a few years ago to replace AK Steel’s (fka Armco Steel) outdated facility.
6. SunCoke Energy facility. View 2. Middletown OH.
7. SunCoke Energy facility. View 3. Middletown OH.
8. SunCoke Energy facility. View 4. Middletown OH.
9. SunCoke Energy facility. View 5. Middletown OH.
10. AK Steel’s blast furnace (in distance), BOF (basic oxygen furnace – red building in center), and slag dump. Middletown OH.
11. AK Steel’s blast furnace 3 and BOF. Middletown OH.
12. AK Steel’s huge slag dump. Middletown OH.
13. AK Steel Blast furnace 3. Middletown OH.
14. AK Steel’s BOF. Middletown OH.
15. Looks like a power generation plant perhaps owned by AK. In the foreground is the NS yard. AK Steel. Middletown OH.
16. NS 6343 switches at the yard office. NS 6162 is parked in the background at Middletown yard. 08-05-2019. Middletown OH.
17. NS 6343 & 6162. View 2. Middletown OH.
18. I’m not sure of the NS track layout on the east side of the AK steel mill. Middletown OH.
19. AK Steel’s blast furnace 3 from the west side of the mill. That’s the NS, ex-CR, exx-P-C, nee-NYC/Big Four line in the foreground. Middletown OH.
20. AK Steel blast furnace 3. View 2. Mideletown OH.
21. CSX 2034-110 wait at Butler Street in Hamilton OH with a s/b train of mostly steel coil flats.
22. A NS n/b freight behind 8178-7520 crosses over and will soon break off on their New Castle District to Richmond and Fort Wayne. Hamilton OH.
23. CSX 2034-110 get moving south quickly after the NS train gets by. Hamilton OH.
24. CSX Toledo SD Map 2. Click here for a slightly larger map.
25. Looking south at the current CSX, former B&O, ex-CH&D depot in Hamilton OH.
26. CSX depot. View 2. Hamilton OH.
27. CSX depot. View 3. Hamilton OH.
28. CSX depot. View 4. Hamilton OH.
29. CSX’s Indianapolis Sub. diverts to the left. This is the route the Cardinal takes. CSX CP. Hamilton OH.
30. CSX Cincinnati Term SD Map. Click here for a slightly larger map.
31. CSX 6296-2568 switch at New Miami Yard just north of Hamilton on the Toledo Sub. The timetable shows this as New River Yard, but that is not what the sign says. The track on the right is the Middletown Sub. that goes to AK Steel’s plant. Until a few years ago AK/Armco had a plant just to the right. The Hamilton plant sent bottle cars over the Middletown line to the Middletown mill. For years Lima diesel switchers handled that move. The Hamilton plant is now completely gone. CSX 6296-2568. New Miami OH.
32. CSX 6296-2568. View 2. New Miami OH.
It was getting late in the day. We headed for home. Everett Young