1. The new NS bridges are in place just west of Matewan WV at Hatfield Bend tunnels. 05-07-2020.
2. NS approach signal at “Arrow” (Delorme WV). Delorme Branch to Freeburn and Phelps KY diverging on left. 05-07-2020.
3. NS 7607-7622-111 on w/b intermodal 217-06 (Charlotte to Chicago-Calumet). Arrow WV.
4. NS 7622. Arrow WV. UPS is a big customer on this train.
5. Just east of Matewan WV, I found an NS approach signal at White WV. A center siding begins here.
6. NS 1199-9278-4008 lead w/b time freight 195-06 (Linwood ?? to Bellevue) with 41 loads and 161 empties. White WV. 05-07-2020.
7. NS 1199-9278-4008. View 2. White WV.
8. NS 3658-9828 with e/b time freight 133-07 (Portsmouth – Roanoke) with 37 loads and 9 empties. White WV.
9. NS 3658-9828. View 2. White WV.
10. Trailing dead in tow were NS 2707-2666-2766-2772-2666. I was shocked to learn that all 130 NS SD70M-2s have been retired and put up for sale! These 4,000 HP units built in 2005-06 were heading to Roanoke to be put in storage! A couple of years ago NS was leasing former CSX SD70ACes! How times have changed! NS 3658-9828. White WV.
11. NS 3658. White WV.
12. NS 9554-4183-9605-4191 lead w/b intermodal 233-06 (Norfolk – Chicago-Landers) at White WV.
13. The old NS bridges will have to be dismantled or scrapped on the spot. Matewan WV. 05-07-2020.
14. NS 9554-4183-9605-4191. I guess 233 got a crew change at Williamson. I was able to get another shot west of town on the Kenova District at Goodman WV.
15. In West Williamson empty e/b coal train 831-06 exits Mingo Tunnel WV behind NS 8162-4074 with 2 loads and 90 empties.
16. This is what the Williamson WV NS car shop looks like now. The yard is full of stored gons and multi-levels. The old “Lubratorium” is left of center. I need to go back and shoot a bunch of those stored vintage gons. No locomotives serviced here anymore. 05-07-2020.
17. On 06-12 Sue and I decided to take a little trip over to Logan. On the way we stopped at Williamson WV. NS 7643-1847 were arriving at the mouth of Sycamore with 80W-12. This 105-car loaded coal train came from Weller Yard VA, but loaded at “Consol”. It was destined for Baltimore.
18. NS 1847 is a “SD70ACC” rebuilt by Progress Rail from SD70 2540. NS 2540 was built in 1994 and rebuilt 12-2019. Williamson WV.
19. There is very little coal in Williamson Yard now. It contains stored multi-levels and gondolas. NS 7643-1847. Williamson WV.
20. NS 1191-4440 head loaded e/b grain train 50D-08 (80 corn from Gibson City IL to Monetta NC). I was surprised when this train didn’t stop here at the old depot for a crew change or at the east end of the yard. This crew ran from Portsmouth to Bluefield! NS 1191-4440. Williamson WV. 06-12-2020.
All for now.