We spent the night in Hazleton PA. Tuesday morning we headed across I-81 to the Humboldt Industrial Park.
1. NS has turned the industrial park track and service over to R&N. For more detail and information look at Humboldt Industrial Park’s website, and you will get an impression of just how important Humboldt is to the economy of the area and the future of the railroad. NS Hazleton study guide. Click here for a larger image.
2. From PA 924 we turned left onto Maplewood Dr. We found the West Hazleton yard job switching. On the scanner we heard another crew working but never found them. RBMN 2000-2531. W Hazleton PA.
3. RBMN 2000-2531. View 2. W Hazleton PA.
4. RBMN 2000-2531 switching Progressive Converting at the Maplewood Drive crossing. View 3. 2000-2531 W Hazleton PA.
5. RBMN 2000-2531. View 4. W Hazleton PA.
6. This is the same cab we had seen the previous evening on southbound WHFF. RBMN cab 92846. W Hazleton PA.
7. RBMN 2000-2531. View 5. W Hazleton PA.
8. RBMN 2000-2531. View 6. W Hazleton PA.
9. Switching EFS Plastics on the east end of the park. RBMN 2000-2531. W Hazleton PA.
10. Covered hoppers of anthracite being loaded at Atlantic Carbon’s big operation at Stockton, just east of Hazleton. Covered hoppers may be going to Nucor Steel in South Carolina. Atlantic Carbon Hazleton Shaft. Stockton PA.
11. NS SD40-2 3337-5663-4619 at Hazleton engine terminal. Hazleton PA.
12. NS 4619-5663-3337. View 2. Hazleton PA.
13. RBMN SW1500 1546 was used the previous day on the YJNR at North Reading. It was evidently in the consist of the returning WHFF during the night along with the caboose. W Hazleton PA.
14. RBMN 1546 SW1500 is ex Conrail, exx-Indianapolis Union Ry., nee-EMD demo. It was built 02-1970. View 2. W Hazleton PA.
15. RBMN 1546 SW1500. View 3. W Hazleton PA.
16. RBMN 1546 had been used on the “Jeddo Job” out to Stockton to pick up three loads of anthracite. A crew is working on the track in the background. W Hazleton PA.
17. The West Hazleton yard job has gone off duty. From PA 924 turn left on Maplewood Dr. Cross the track and turn left on White Birch Rd. There is very little traffic, so you can park anywhere. RBMN 2531-2000. W Hazleton PA.
18. RBMN 2531 is another GP30 rebuilt by BNSF as a “GP39RN.” R&N acquired it from Larry’s Truck Electric Service (LTEX). It was originally AT&SF. R&N has four of these. W Hazleton PA.
19. RBMN 2531 GP39RN. View 2. W Hazleton PA.
20. RBMN 2531 GP39RN. View 3. W Hazleton PA.
21. SD38s are fairly rare. This 2000 HP came from Conrail but was originally Penn Central. It was built in 04-1970. PC and CR used them mostly for hump and switching. R&N has two others acquired from GTW that were originally DT&I. RBMN 2000. W Hazleton PA.
22. RBMN 2000 SD38. View 2. W Hazleton PA.
23. RBMN 2000 SD38. View 3. W Hazleton PA.
24. The WHFF (West Hazleton Fast Freight) will depart at 4:00 PM for Reading with whatever cars are available. Andy Muller and the R&N have been practicing Precision Scheduled Railroading for quite some time! RBMN 2000-2531. W Hazleton PA.
It was 1:00 PM when we hit I-81 for Cumberland and home the next day.