1. Ex-Southern (nee-Central of Ga.) SD9s at the Oakland City IN engine house have replaced the venerable ALCo RS-1s. Nos. 205 and 206 are now on the Indiana Eastern at Cottage Grove IN working over the former C&O and still in AW&W paint! 09-03-1981.
2. Southern B36-7s 3816-3818-3819 are flood loading at Old Ben Coal, Enosville IN, on the AW&W. AW&W was co-owned by Southern and Old Ben. 09-23-1981.
3. Southern 3816 pulls into Oakland City yard. 09-23-1981.
4. SD9 (C of G) SD9 Southern 205. This one now works for Indiana Eastern out of Cottage Grove on the old C&O (but in AW&W paint). Oakland City IN.
5. SD9 (C of G) Southern 205. View 2.
6. RS-1 #4 was the only ALCo I found there on 09-23-1981. Presumably the rest of the small fleet of S-4s and RS-1s were retired after the arrival of the SD9s.
7. AW&W 204 and Southern 206 switch in the yard. That’s the former “Big Four” crossing diagonally. and their connection on the right.
8. Southern 3816 gets a roll out of the yard in the direction of the Southern connection. I think this train went east toward Louisville. 09-23-1981.
9. Southern “Slave” units 7081-3815-3820 help out.
10. AW&W 203-205 switch an industry just out of the yard. The cars may have been MoPac gons of untreated ties. This coal gon may have been stored on an inactive mine spur.
11. Westbound local #72 approaches the BN (former CB&Q) crossing at Centralia IL. 09-25-1981.
12. Southern 2657-2527-2607 are in charge today. The BN line went south into the southern Illinois coal fields connected with ICG at Paducah KY. On my visit to Centralia in 1981 Southern ran the most trains, as some of ICG’s used the low-grade Edgewood Cutoff through Bluford to the east. Unfortunately I didn’t shoot much BN here except an occasional SD9 banging across.
13. I believe the Southern got on BN for a short distance to cross the Illinois Central Gulf main in the background. I spent part of two and a whole day shooting around Centralia. 09-25-1981.
14. Southern 3119-3131-3155 (all SD45s) head onto their own track with e/b freight 111. 09-25-1981.
15. Southern “Slave” SD35 3084 was 50 cars deep in the 90-car train.
16. Southern 3149-3290-3003 have just crossed ICG (on the left) with w/b freight 1st 128 (flags) and are probably still on the BN. Saturday, 09-26-1981.
17. W/b freight 112 behind Southern 2576-2647-2668 touches BN rails with 27 cars heading to East St. Louis. 09-26-1981.
18. E/b freight 111 behind Southern 3290-3209 is about to cross ICG. That’s the ICG depot on the right which is served by Amtrak. This was early on the Sunday morning before I left for home, so it is probably 09-27-1981.